Monday, September 2, 2019

Labor Day Weekend (Day 3)

Yesterday,  I surprised the kids with a trip to Weston, Missouri.  I took them to the Weston Red Barn Farm which kicked off their annual "Fall Festival" weekends.  The Red Barn Farm has acres of farm land in beautiful Platte County nestled among the low valleys and rolling hillsides of the Missouri River.  The farm includes a pumpkin patch, apple orchard, petting zoo, and country store.  We went for the apple picking.






We had so much fun hunting for the ripest apples and learning to distinguish between Red Delicious, Jonathan, and Gala.  We were picking for pie/applesauce-making so we went for the Jonathans and Galas.

After apple picking, we visited the different farm animals.  Most of the animals quickly approach the pen fences, eager for handouts from visitors.  This Tom was gorgeous!



After a quick bathroom/hand washing break, we shopped the Country Store.  It was so cute and I couldn't help but purchase a new pumpkin for my table collection.  It's an artificial pumpkin covered in cable knit and feathers.  I plan to include it as part of my fall table scape, but for now, it's eagerly awaiting October's arrival on my entryway table!



The little country store is absolutely delightful.  My girl and I shopped the Fall decor and then we bought apple cider slushees and kettle corn to share with the boys.  Even the outside of the shop was cutely decorated with giant freestanding bathtubs overflowing with pumpkins.









While we didn't shop the pumpkin patch, they had plenty of gorgeous piles of pumpkins on display to get the four of us eagerly anticipating October!




After a busy morning, we were ready for lunch.  My initial plan was to take the kids to a cute restaurant in the historic town of Weston, Missouri, but everybody else had the same plan!  Three hungry kids and lots of (friendly) motorcyclists and get-away-for-the-weekend couples does not make for a good mix.  :)

Activate Plan B.   On our way home (about an hour's drive), we pass through a tiny town called Parkville.  I love Parkville.  It used to be my home many years ago when I still lived on the Missouri side of the state line.  It is an adorable riverfront community, nestled in the bluffs overlooking the Missouri River, also located in Platte County.  Parkville also has cute antique shops and girly boutiques, art stores, and unique eating establishments.  While busy, it was definitely less crowded and afforded us the opportunity to quickly be seated.  We chose a local brew house and the food did not disappoint!




M and I decided that we need to come back for brunch or lunch to eat at this French bistro tucked into the hillside. 






...and the boys want to come back for miniature golf.  How does one play on a hillside?!?!


On our way out of Weston as we headed toward Parkville, we discovered the most beautiful stone Catholic church.  I would love to go back and attend Mass one Saturday evening.  I can't even imagine the courage and bravery it took explorers like Lewis and Clark or Father DeSmet to traverse such unknown terrain.





All in all, even with a pneumonia diagnosis for one kiddo, it was an amazing Labor Day Weekend with my children.  I am eagerly anticipating lots of fun Fall activities over the coming weeks and a return to cooler temperatures.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Labor Day Weekend (Day 4)

The last day of Labor Weekend brought a sweet surprise! My girlfriend, Julieanne, and I decided to meet for coffee in our jammies.  Ser...